At Shawfield we run a “Playground Buddy Scheme” where children from Year 4 and above can choose to enrol as a peer buddy to the children in KS1 and KS2 during lunchtimes. They are required write a letter of application for the job stating their qualities and why they think they would be suitable. The aim of the scheme is to encourage children to be good role models and it plays an important part in creating a safe, friendly, happy and peaceful atmosphere for children during lunchtime. It also gives them some feeling of responsibility. Not only do they help to make the playground a happy place for all the children, they also offer great help to the staff on duty at lunch.
What is their role?
- To help children to play co-operatively with each other.
- To help children resolve minor conflicts.
- Teach children to play a wider range of games.
- Help lonely children make more friends.
- Most importantly, be available to be a friend to all the other children.